Saturday, January 23, 2016

Low-Cal Baked Eggplant Parmesan

I started a new diet a few days after I realized I had gained a whopping ten pounds in only two months. I find it harder to lose weight in the winter when I am craving comfort food such as mac n' cheese, heart soups and of course my favorite pasta dishes. Eggplant parm is one of my favorite dishes, so I decided to see if I could make it as low-calorie as possible. It took only a few simple changes to make this healthier recipe. My boyfriend and I both really enjoyed it. Let me know what you think! Feel free to post your opinions to my Facebook page.







Ingredients:
  • Two medium-sized eggplants
  • 1 1/2 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 4 egg whites
  • One teaspoon salt
  • One teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1 jar Classico Spicy Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chopped red peppers
  • 1 cup low-fat parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup basil
Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Peel eggplant. Slice into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  3. Place parchment paper on two baking sheets. Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
  5. In another small bowl, whisk together egg whites.
  6. Dip both sides of eggplant slice into egg whites and then immediately dip into breadcrumb mixture until the slice is completely coated. Place slice on baking sheet and continue this process with the rest of the eggplant slices. Space them evenly on baking sheet.
  7. Drizzle olive oil on top of the eggplant slices on the baking sheet.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Eggplant slices should be slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
  9. Spread 1 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of a medium-sized lasagna pan.
  10. Place half of the eggplant on top of the pasta sauce.
  11. Spread another 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce on top of the eggplant slices.
  12. Then add parmesan cheese, followed by mozzarella cheese. Finish with a sprinkling of basil.
  13. Repeat with another layer of the remaining eggplant, then pasta sauce, then parmesan and finally mozzarella.
  14. Bake for 20 minutes until chese is melted and edges are golden. Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil and chopped red peppers. Serve immediately.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment